This little tutorial is basically what you'll find in the embedded video below (credit goes to sneakwit), I've just used my own FTP server instead of Smallftpd, plus uploaded NDS_backup_Tool.zip as sneakwit's link no longer works.
NOTE:- The main reason I chose to use my own FTP server is portability, i.e: I can backup anywhere in the world with a wireless AP (as long as it's WEP, unfortunately). So say you're in Japan and you buy some games. Copy them and then stow them away in safety =D.......... That and I was bored over the weekend XD
1 X Nintendo DS Lite w/ WiFi setup (a good guide can be found here. I use Pokemon Soul Silver to set mine up because that is how I also role.)
1 X Flash Cart (I used a CycloDS Evolution running version 1.59 w/ a Sandisk 16gig SDHC card. I highly recommend OzModChips.com if you don't have one.)
+Plus - NDS_Backup_Tool.zip and Smallftpd, if you're not using an online FTP server. Links at bottom of page.
- So first you need to unpack the contents of NDS_Backup_Tool.zip and alter the NDS_Backup_Tool_Wifi.ini in notpad or Notepad++. You need to change the serve IP address and the username & password to match that of the FTP server you are using. Save altered .ini file.
- Copy NDS_Backup_Tool_Wifi.nds, NDS_Backup_Tool_Wifi.ini and ôÃé±é+âl.txt to the root of your SD card (the root being the top of the folder and not inside any other folder. If placed in any other folder it defaults to anonymous and an IP of 192.168.0.10). Load SD card into your CycloDS Evolution or equivalent.
- Start the flash cart and navigate to NDS_Backup_Tool_Wifi.nds and run it.
- It will start and immediately start connecting to your AP (that we preconfigured with a WiFi enabled game) then it will connect to the FTP server we included in the .ini file.
- Once connected it will ask you to remove your CycloDS Evolution and insert the game you want to backup (well, it uses rather bad English but you get the gist). Once the game is inserted it will give you a menu. Scroll through it with the L and R until you get to the NDS backup menu and press B to start.
- That's it. It will take a very long time to complete. You can then copy your save file (scroll through the menu again) and then copy the created .nds and .sav files to you SD card and have fun playing =D